An artful blending of hops and a blazing volcano
ESCONDIDO, CA (March 12, 2018) – Trends in craft beer rise and fall, but through the dank, the fruit and the haze, one constant remains: Hops. Spotlighting this wonderful plant, Stone Brewing presents Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA, a beer packed with all the fruitiness of some of today’s favorite beers, with absolutely no addition of fruit.
“Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA was initially brewed with the intent to add fruit,” said Jeremy Moynier, Stone Brewing senior innovation brewing manager. “However, once we brewed it, we couldn’t believe the amazing fruit aroma and flavors we’d coaxed from the hops alone. To heck with the fruit!”
It is certain that this week’s nationwide release may inspire a Tiki escapade. Seven straws and a blazing volcano may be the best way to share a scorpion bowl cocktail, but not this 7.5% ABV island inspiration.
Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA pours deep gold and bright with a thin white head. The aroma is as juicy as its name implies, with hints of passion fruit, pineapple, tangerine, guava and mango. Layer upon layer give this beer its complexity with tropical flavors as well as strawberry, blueberry and subtle herbal notes. It finishes refreshing but with just the right bitterness. Straws not needed…or even welcome.
Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA is available in 22-ounce bottles and draft. The juicy hop creation joins Stone’s year-round lineup of beers including Stone IPA, Stone Delicious IPA, Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0, Stone Tangerine Express IPA, Stone Go To IPA and Stone Ripper.
- Name: Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA
- Web: stoneBrewing.com/ scorpionbowl
- Stats: 7.5% ABV, 76 IBUs
- Availability: 22oz bottles and draft
- Featured Hops: Mosaic, Loral & Mandarina Bavaria
- Distribution: Nationwide and internationally in Australia, Canada, Japan, Singapore, Sweden and United Kingdom
- Find Beer: find.stonebrewing.com
- Appearance: Deep gold, bright, thin white head.
- Aroma: An explosion of tropical aromas! Essences of Hibiscus punch, pineapple, tangerine, guava, mango, and passion fruit.
- Taste: Complex and layered fruit throughout including juicy tropical fruit, tangerine, strawberry, blueberry, and subtle herbal notes.
- Palate: Savory and tropical! There is a nice lingering fruit finish with just the right amount of bitterness.
- Overall: This beer clearly shows the amazing fruit aroma and flavors that you can coax from an artful blend of hops. There was NO fruit used in making this beer. All the complexities come from our best friend….the almighty hop. When we tasted the original prototype for this beer, someone commented that it reminded them of a Scorpion Bowl cocktail. The description was perfect and the name stuck!